new MathSource polyhedra

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22566] new MathSource polyhedra
  • From: Russell Towle <rustybel at foothill.net>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 17:52:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am pleased to announce two new MathSource items:

Elect, Bead, and Star Zonohedra:
http://www.mathsource.com/cgi-bin/msitem?0211-060

Zonohedral Completion:
http://www.mathsource.com/cgi-bin/msitem?0211-071

I have delayed submitting Zonohedral Completion.nb to MathSource for
several years, because the principal algorithm fails at various points. I
appeal to anyone interested in polyhedra, in dissections of zonohedra, or
simply, in good and optimized programming, to help repair the deficiencies.

Beyond that, the process of the "zonohedral completion of a convex
polyhedron" as exemplified in the above notebook, generalizes to n
dimensions. I have only extended it downwards, to the zonogonal completion
of convex polygons. It would interesting to carry it upwards, into the
fourth dimension. For instance, I theorize that the "zonotopic completion
of the regular n-simplex" always results in an n-space-filler, for, when
n=2, we obtain the regular hexagon, when n=3, Kepler's rhombic dodecahedron.

Russell Towle
Box 141
Dutch Flat, CA 95714
(530) 389-2872