Re: Trying to define: Fractional Derivatives & Leibniz' display form for output and templates

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22811] Re: Trying to define: Fractional Derivatives & Leibniz' display form for output and templates
  • From: "Mike Honeychurch" <m.honeychurch at sci.monash.edu.au>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:01:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here are a couple of methods that work on data sets (two column)...you can
modify them to make them functions if you want to call them regularly.

For a 0.5 integral this works (but is procedural and slow)

Table[data[[k,i]],
(0.5/Sqrt[Pi])*Sum[((data[[i-1,2]]+data[[i,2]])/Sqrt[k-i+0.5]), {i=2,k}],{k,
2, Length[data]}]

It is straightforward to convert this to an integral between 0 and 1 if you
have the definition of the fractional derivative-integral handy.

Here is a functional method which is very quick but unfortunately is for 0.5
integral only (one column evenly spaced data):

y1=Table[1/Sqrt[Length[data]-i+0.5, {i,Length[data], 2, -1}]
y2=ListCorrelate[{1,1},data];
ListConvolve[y1,y2,{1,1},0]

To perform fractional derivatives or integrals (same thing) on functions it
is should also be straight forward.  I'm not a mathematician so in what
follows the terminology might be a tad dodgy.

I don't have the texts in front of me but from memory the fractional
calculus is pretty much just a type of convolution integral with a 1/gamma
function out the front (I'm a chemist but you know what I mean!).  It should
be possible therefore to define something like:

f[x_, y_,n_]:=1/Gamma[...]*Integrate[x[t-z]^n*y[z], {a,b}]

My apologies if my memory of what occurs within the integral is rusty but I
hope this will point you in the right direction.

I am actually going to be sitting down (in the next month or so) to write
something to solve some diffusion problems so if you email me I'll forward
what I have when I have it.

cheers

Mike Honeychurch

m.honeychurch at sci.monash.edu.au