Integrate query

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23361] Integrate query
  • From: "A. E. Siegman" <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 02:59:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a non-negative analytic function f[x] whose area (integral of
f[x] from 0 to Infinity) is unity.

I want to find the upper limit such that the integral up to that limit
will contain a fixed fraction of the total area, i.e. find  a  such that

   Integrate[f[x], {x,0,a}] == f         (f<=1)

The question is, what's the most efficient way to program this, if I
want to find  a  with fair accuracy, and with a variety of different
functions f[x]?

Thanks . . .