Re: Making Mathematica "beep"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23370] Re: Making Mathematica "beep"
  • From: "David Bailey" <db at salford-software.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 02:59:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote in message
news:8eg7d7$hf4 at smc.vnet.net...
> In most programming languages, one can write the ASCII character Ctrl-G
> to output in order to cause the computer to "beep".  How can one do it
> in Mathematica (ver. 4.0, with a Notebook Front End)?

One simple answer is to actually generate a sound using something like:

Beep[] :=
    Show[Play[Sin[5000 t + 2 Sin[400 t]], {t, 0, 1/8},
        DisplayFunction -> Identity], ImageSize -> {10, 10}];

Here I have used Show with the ImageSize option to reduce the size of the
(unwanted) picture of the sound which is always generated at this point.

As far as I know there is no way to suppress the picture of a sound - yet I
would have thought this would be quite useful in many situations!

David Bailey
Salford Software