Re: Follow-up on Do[] Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23349] Re: [mg23328] Follow-up on Do[] Question
  • From: Matt.Johnson at autolivasp.com
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 02:59:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steve-

You just need to separate the expressions with semicolons rather than commas.
Here's a simple example.

Do[x = i; y = 2 x; z = y + 2; Print[{x, y, z}], {i, 4}]

{1, 2, 4}

{2, 4, 6}

{3, 6, 8}

{4, 8, 10}

-matt

com3 at ix.netcom*NOSPAM*.com on 05/01/2000 10:43:10 PM

Subject: [mg23349]  [mg23328] Follow-up on Do[] Question

Hello,

I recently posted a question on 4/29/00 (msg # 22498) in which I
recieved emails addressing part 2 and part 3 of my question. Thanks to
to those that helped.

Part 1 however is of most importance not only for the problem at hand
but to fill in a large gap in my understanding of Mathematica
programming. So I will try and sharpen that question.

Am I missing something or is the Do[] construct limited to processing
only a single command ?

The online help gives the following help on Do.
Do[expr, {imax}] evaluates expr imax times.

But what if I have several expressions that I would like evaluated
imax times ?

Is there a way to accomplish something like
Do[expr1, expr2, expr3, . . .exprn, {imax}] ?

When I try this I get a beep and a message that seems to indicate that
the second item in the list must be imax which agrees with the online
help.

The intent here is to evaluate expr1 then expr2 then expr3, . . . then
exprn. Then expr1 would be evaluated again followed by expr2 and so on
until each expression is evaluated imax times.

Thanks

Steve

For any e-mail responses, please remove *NOSPAM* from my address.