Starting Mathematica kernal from external programs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23445] Starting Mathematica kernal from external programs
  • From: FiG <fig367 at mad.scientist.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 02:32:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

I'm using Mathematica as a computational engine, creating my
own front end, as it were.  However I cant get mathematica
to start automatically from the external program, even using
the example factor.c programs with ver 3.7 of Mathlink.  I'm
using  mathematica 4 and winnt ver4 sp5

The command line I'm using from the factor.c file is
factor -linkmode launch

This launches a window to choose  the appropriate file to
run.  I want this to be done from within the external exe.
I've tried some variations such as factor -linkmode launch
-math mathlink, but they all bring up the same window or
hang the exe file.

I've downloaded the mathlink tutorial from the ftp site, had
a look at some of the mathematica books and had a browse of
the 1742 items that come back from a search of the wolfram
website under 'mathlink'.  Information on such switch
options seems to be sparse.

Can anyone give me some pointers to more precise info.

Cheers
\Andrew
Student at Dublin City University
Computer Applications (Evening) Year 4