Re: Simple Mathematica expression Q

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23491] Re: Simple Mathematica expression Q
  • From: "Dale Horton" <daleh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 22:54:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

While the kernel recognizes that Cell and Notebook (and other fe
expressions) exist,
the kernel does not have definitions for these objects. To the kernel,
Cell[x=1,"Input"]
is much like f[x=1,"Input"] when f is undefined. It sets x to 1, replaces
x=1 with 1,
and returns the rest unevaluated.

What the kernel can do is pass the expression to the fe, so that the fe can
do something with it.

This can be done in several ways. CellPrint, NotebookWrite, and DisplayForm
for Cell[]s.
NotebookPut for Notebook[]s.

So what you probably want to do is

CellPrint[Cell["x=1","Input"]]