Re: Sorting with Infinity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23524] Re: [mg23513] Sorting with Infinity
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 22:29:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Actually the command is not too arcane. Simply use:

In[5]:=
Sort[{7, -2, -Infinity, Infinity, 1}, Less]
Out[5]=
{-Infinity, -2, 1, 7, Infinity}

The point is that Mathematica does "know" things like:

In[7]:=
-Infinity < -2
Out[7]=
True

or

In[8]:=
23 < Infinity
Out[8]=
True

but unless you specifically tell it to use Less in sorting it sorts Infinity
as a Symbol rather than using Less. This has really nothing to do with
Infinity, for example compare this with:

In[11]:=
Sort[{1, 4, Pi, E}]
Out[11]=
{1, 4, E, Pi}