how embed fonts with emmathfnt?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23663] how embed fonts with emmathfnt?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 23:09:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The utility emmathfnt.exe and associated batch file emmathfnt.bat and
package ExportToEPSWithFonts.m are just not working for me on my Windows
98 system with Mathematica 4.

I start with a Plot graphics object that includes, say, the symbol "/"
(or even parentheses) that are normally rendered within Mathematica by
MathMono fonts.  I can export this in the usual way via Export to get a
PostScript file.  See, e.g., the attached base2.eps.

If I try to use the function ExportToEPSWithFonts instead, the pop-up
DOS window gives two Out of Enviroment Space error messages and then a
File Not Found message.

If, instead, I try to use the emmathfnt.bat file (with the path
references appropriately adjusted), in the form

   emmathfnt.bat -o base2out.eps base2.eps scratch

then I get the indicated output file, but it is shorter than the input
file base2.eps and is no longer a legitimate PostScript file that can be
understood by either GhostView or Adobe Distiller.  If I leave out the
third, scratch file, argument, the program hangs.

I've even tried manually typing the commands from the emmathfnt.bat file
directly at a DOS session from within Windows (actually, a console
session from within the TakeCommand command line utility that seems to
avoid the environment problem), but with the same disastrous resuls.

Any suggestions?

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Univ. of Massachusetts                     413 545-2859 (W)
Amherst, MA 01003-4515