overwriting previous line

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25875] overwriting previous line
  • From: Otto Linsuain <linsuain+ at andrew.cmu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 02:04:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi everyone.
I have the following question.
I am using FixedPoint, something like:

counter=0;
FixedPoint[ (counter++;Print[counter];f[#]) & , x]

I don't want to use FixedPointList because the entire output would be
too long and it would be a waste of memory to ask Mathematica to
remember it, let alone print it. But I use the counter to know how many
times this iterates before it converges and I use the Print to keep
track of what is going on (that idea was suggested by this group).

The output looks something like:

1
2
3