RE: Incorrect plotting of Lissajous-figures

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25908] RE: [mg25890] Incorrect plotting of Lissajous-figures
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 23:04:56 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Rene,

You probably want this:

ParametricPlot[{Cos[500*t], Cos[500*t + Pi/4]}, {t, 0, 2*Pi/500}]

The reason the ellipse is being filled is that 25 plot points are being used
and lines are being drawn bewteen ajacent points. But with so few points,
and with the entire range wrapping around the ellipse many times, the points
are almost randomly placed and the lines go across the ellipse. If you must
use the extended range, increase the plot points.

ParametricPlot[{Cos[500*t], Cos[500*t + Pi/4]}, {t, 0, 2*Pi},
  PlotPoints -> 500]

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/