how to differentiate a list?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25940] how to differentiate a list?
  • From: Rob <piovere at pdq.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:40:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I needed to get the derivative of a time varying pulse to do some
numerical
operations.  As seen below, the only way I could figure how to do it
was to generate two lists, shifted by one sample and then subtract them:

***************
del = 0.002; a = 12\[Pi]; b = \[Pi];
( s[t] is a function of t defining the pulse )

sd = Table[N[s[t]], {t, 0, 1, del}];
sd1 = Table[N[s[t]], {t, del, 1 + del, del}];
diff = sd - sd1;

I looked all over and I didn't find a list operation available to do
this. I bet
you Mathematica gurus know how to do this.  If so, could you enlighten me?

Thanks, Rob