Re: Bug: Mathematica 4.0 vs. Win2k on ThinkPad

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25944] Re: [mg25931] Bug: Mathematica 4.0 vs. Win2k on ThinkPad
  • From: "Mark Harder" <harderm at ucs.orst.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:40:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

My impression is that there have been some problems with Mathematica that
are specific to Win2k systems; i.e. they didn't occur on WinNT systems.  One
thing that hasn't been tried in your case is running your Mathematica 4.0.2
on a think-pad with WinNT.  Can you get a friend, dealer, or IBM itself to
try this with you?

Another thought: What is the pointing device on the ThinkPad? Could your
problem have to do with a non-standard pointing device (eg. that little red
joystick thing on the keypad)? Maybe there are alternative drivers out there
that will interface better with Mathematica and/or Win2K.  I ask this
because I think there are lots of steps the operating system must carry out
to decode the screen position of the pointer based on pointer motion, then
decode intra-window position based on the desktop display, then pass this
info to Mathematica, which has to be able to use that info to detect the "pointer
entering/leaving" events that depend on pointer position, etc., prior to
changing the screen display appropriately, so its easy to imagine the bug
lying in the pointer driver info somewhere.

-mark harder