Re: mathematica&latex

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26120] Re: mathematica&latex
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:56:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 22 Nov 2000, Andreas Schuster wrote:

> I want to convert a notebook to LaTeX. But after doing so, all formating
> elements vanished

I'm assuming that you've used either the front end menu command File ->
Save As Special -> TeX or the kernel function TeXSave[] to accomplish the
conversion.

Options for adjusting the appearance of text in Mathematica notebooks do
not map completely into LaTeX's markup language.  If a well-defined analog
does not exist in LaTeX, the style information will be discarded.  If you
wish to create a more accurate mapping, you will need to define your own
inline cell styles with embedded conversion rules that guide the process
in mapping style definitions to LaTeX macros.

This is documented in greater detail in the online documentation for
TeXSave[] under the Additional Information section.  To retrieve this
information in the Help Browser, paste this expression into a notebook and
evaluate it.

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["RefGuide", "TeXSave"]]

> and I got the IN/OUT-elements in the TeX-file, although they aren't in
> the notebook (I believe the kernel added them during converting). Does
> anybody know, how to solve these problems?

In/Out prompts in the .tex files are generated by the
\disp{SF,TF}{in,out}math macros, and they rely on TeX's counter mechanism
to handle numbering.  See the file notebook2e.sty for special command
sequences that can be used to adjust the behavior of the counters.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.