Re: Re: frontend problem: common characters automatically translated

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26088] Re: [mg26074] Re: frontend problem: common characters automatically translated
  • From: Maarten.vanderBurgt at icos.be
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:55:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hallo,

After reading
http://support.wolfram.com/Systems/Windows/FE/FontsNotWorking.html I
managed to correct this odd behaviour simply by pasting a few brackets
({}[]) from MSWord into a Mathematica notebook. As sudden as it appeared
the problem had gone. I can work again now, but it still remains a mystery
to me.

Maarten
Icos, Leuven

"Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com> on 22-11-2000 07:56:00 AM

Subject: [mg26088]  [mg26074] Re: frontend problem: common characters automatically
      translated

<Maarten.vanderBurgt at icos.be> wrote in message
news:8v06lk$4mf at smc.vnet.net...
> Hallo,
>
> I have a strange Front End problem (Windos NT4).
> When I type in {1,2,3} is gets automatically translated into :1,2,3<.
> f[x_]:=x^2 becomes f at x_F:=x^2 and  (a + b)/(c + d) becomes Ja + bN"Jc +
dN.
> It makes all in- and output lines in notebooks, helpfiles,..  unreadable.
> I believe it started after looking into some notebooks on the Wolfram web
> site or in MathSource.
>
> How can this happen and how can I get rid of this?

You need to make sure the font your system is using contains the needed
characters. From the symptom, it seems there is a conflict between the
normal ASCII character set (or ordering) and the character set being used
in
your notebooks.

Why not just copy these characters into Mathematica and see what happens:
  ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 : ; < = > ?@ A B C D E
G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z [ \ ] ^ _` a b c d e f g h i j k l
n o p q r s t u v w x y z { | } ~
The solution is to make sure none of the needed fonts have been
overwritten.
The easiest way to be reasonably sure this is true is to re-install
Mathematica.

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com