Re: Symbolic complex conjugation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26150] Re: [mg26125] Symbolic complex conjugation
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:03:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Are you sure you did not get your two cases mixed up?
Here is why:

In[1]:=
2 + I /. Complex[0, n_] -> -Complex[0, n]
Out[1]=
2 + I
In[2]:=
2 + I /. Complex[m_, n_] -> Complex[m, -n]
Out[2]=
2 - I

The first method does will work only with purely symbolic examples:

In[3]:=
a + b*I /. Complex[0, n_] -> -Complex[0, n]
Out[3]=
a - I b

while the second works with both symbolic and numerical ones:

In[4]:=
a + b*I /. Complex[m_, n_] -> Complex[m, -n]
Out[4]=
a - I b

The reason is that the FullForm of a+b*I and 2+3*I is different:

In[5]:=
FullForm[a + b*I]
Out[5]//FullForm=
Plus[a, Times[Complex[0, 1], b]]

In[6]:=
FullForm[2 + 3*I]
Out[6]//FullForm=
Complex[2, 3]

So the pattern Complex[a_,b_] finds a match in both cases while the pattern
Complex[0,n_] only in the symbolic case.

Another way to do this is as follows:

In[7]:=
ComplexExpand[Conjugate[a + 3 + b*I + 2I]]
Out[7]=
3 + a + I (-2 - b)

This again works in both numerical and symbolic cases and is my preferred
approach. It may be slower in cases when you want to do nothing more than
conjugate the expression because as you can see this way does more than just
replace I by -I. By contrast the other two approaches give:

In[8]:=
a + 3 + b*I + 2I /. Complex[0, n_] -> -Complex[0, n]
Out[8]=
3 + 2 I + a - I b

(quite wrong!)
and

In[9]:=
a + 3 + b*I + 2I /. Complex[m_, n_] -> Complex[m, -n]
Out[9]=
3 - 2 I + a - I b

Correct but not as nice.

--