"Evaluate to Here" (solved)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25502] "Evaluate to Here" (solved)
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 23:50:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've asked several times in the past for a quick and easy way to
evaluate a (possibly lengthy) notebook from the top down to a point
where you're doing some editing, but not beyond that point, without
having to laboriously scroll and select all the way back up to the top.

"Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil> has sent me a method which is
neat enough that I think it's worth posting here.

As is the case, I suspect, with many other people, all my notebooks
start with a "Title" cell which is one level higher in the Style
hierarchy than any subsequent cells (it's usually a Section style cell,
Ctrl-4)).

If I insert a temporary cell having this same style just below where I'm
working in the notebook, and maybe type "EVALUATE TO HERE" into it, then
all the cells above that point are joined in a group; and I can evaluate
them by just clicking on the lower end of the outermost bracket that
covers that group, and hitting ENTER.

Neat.