RE: making a function linear

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25488] RE: [mg25473] making a function linear
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 23:50:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Murray,

I don't know if this qualifies as a simple way because it does use a
HoldFirst as an Attribute of T. But the students don't have to use any Holds
in their use of it.

Attributes[T] = {HoldFirst};
T[a_?VectorQ + b_?VectorQ] := T[a] + T[b]
T[c_ x_?VectorQ] := c T[x]

a = {1, 2}; T[a] = {3, 4};
b = {5, 6}; T[b] = {7, 8};

T[2a]
T[a + b]
{6, 8}
{10, 12}

It will probably be difficult to think of a simpler approach.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net