Importing a .gif into a new notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25560] Importing a .gif into a new notebook
  • From: Ken Levasseur-UML <Kenneth_Levasseur at uml.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 03:36:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm having trouble doing the following:   Given the file name of a gif file,
import the image, create a new notebook and paste the image into the notebook.
I have no trouble importing the image and showing it through the sequence

afile="some.gif"
img=Import[afile, "GIF"]
Show[img]

It's a Raster image, but that's ok.
I had expected that, I could do this: to do essentially the same thing:

temp=NotebookPut[Notebook[{}]];
NotebookWrite[temp, Import[afile, "GIF"]]

But I keep getting cells with error boxes containing the Raster data.   I've
tried several other variations, but with no success.   Anyone know the correct
method?

Ken Levasseur