Re: Graphing, Symbolic Manipulation, and Regressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25565] Re: Graphing, Symbolic Manipulation, and Regressions
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 03:36:13 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ian,

Plot[{(x(x + 2))/x^2, x^2(x - 2)/x},
    {x, -3, 3},
     PlotLabel -> HoldForm[{StyleForm[(x(x + 2))/x^2, FontColor -> Hue[0]],
          StyleForm[x^2(x - 2)/x, FontColor -> Hue[.7]]}],
    PlotStyle -> {{Hue[0]}, {Hue[.7]}}
    ];

HoldForm prevents the cancelling.

For quadratic formula that you want, InterpolatingPolynomial seems to be the
thing, not Fit.

InterpolatingPolynomial[{{1, 3}, {-1, -3}, {2, 6}}, x]

        3 + 3 (-1 + x)

Check

        {3, -3, 6}

--