Re: ReplaceAll in Element[] Q

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25640] Re: [mg25599] ReplaceAll in Element[] Q
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:04:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Indeed, this looks strange but actually are  a victim of an "optical
illusion". Observe:

In[1]:=
Element[{a,b},Reals]

Out[1]=
(a | b) \[Element] Reals

In other words,   Element[List[variables],Domain] is automatically converted
to Element[Alternatives[ variables],Domain]. These two forms are  equivalent
if entered as input, e.g.

In[2]:=
Element[{a,2},Reals]

Out[2]=
a \[Element] Reals

In[3]:=
Element[Alternatives[a,2],Reals]

Out[3]=
a \[Element] Reals

You can understand why these two approaches, using List and using
Alternatives, are equivalent if you look at the documentation for Element:

In[4]:=
?Element

Element[x, dom] asserts that x is an element of the domain
   dom. Element[{x1, x2, ... }, dom] asserts that all the xi
   are elements of dom. Element[patt, dom] asserts that any
   expression matching the pattern patt is an element of dom.

Since Alternatives[a,b] is a pattern, the last part of the above applies.
The statement Element[Alternatives[variables],dom] means that any expression
matching Alternatives[variables] is an element of Dom. But every variable in
variables matches Alternatives[variables]. Thus the statement amounts to
saying that all variables are in dom, which is the same as
Element[List[variables],dom].

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University