A simple problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25786] A simple problem
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 03:53:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a very simple notation problem I cannot solve (because of my limited
knowledge of Mathematica).

Example -- an equation from physics:

f := a * t^2 / 2 - p == 0

Now I want to create the different forms of this equation, such as:

Solve[f,t]

which produces:

sqrt(2) * sqrt(p) / sqrt(a)

Okay, the correct general solution. What I really wanted was the limited
solution ( sqrt(2p/a) ). I know I need to say "assume all the variables are
>= 0", but I can't figure out how to express this.

I've tried applying a number of different constraints without success.

Hey -- I warned you. Simple problem. :)

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com