Re: Exporting to MS Word

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25027] Re: Exporting to MS Word
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 21:57:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 1 Sep 2000 com3 at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> First let me apolgize for posting a subject that has been discussed
> before but I've searched the Wolfram site, Deja News and the online
> help to no avail.
>
> I believe my question is simple. How can I export a Mathematica 3.0
> notebook containing text, input commands, output values and output
> formulas to MS Word so that the quality of the final Word document was
> worthy of the effort involved in exporting ? That is to say that the
> formulas in Word look as good as the same formulas in Mathematica. My
> formulas are "2 dimensional" in that they contain integral signs,
> square root symbols etc. We're using Word 2000 if that matters.

There does not exist a lossless way to transmit the contents of a
Mathematica notebook to Microsoft Word format.  The Mathematica notebook
format is a structure document format that provides for separation of
content and presentation.  Word is largely a presentation-oriented format.

If Word is the only option available to you, you may want to consider
saving to Rich Text Format.  Select the cells in the notebook and use the
front end menu command Edit -> Save Selection As -> Rich Text
(RTF)...  Because Mathematica uses special fonts, unless those fonts are
installed on the user's system, it is very likely that two-dimensional
typesetting will not look properly on his or her system.  Two-dimensional
typesetting is stored internally as metafiles, making them non-editable.

If you are concerned about quality of appearance, MathReader is the best
option.

http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathreader/

Another alternative is to convert the notebook into a full-blown
PostScript document with a PostScript printer driver and then use a
third-party utility for converting the file into Adobe Portable Document
Format (PDF).  This will preserve the appearance of the notebook and make
it possible for non-Office users to view your work.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.