About N in Mathematica 4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25327] About N in Mathematica 4
  • From: "Sistrall" <silvano.stralla at tin.it>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:35:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi!

I've a question about the function N in Mathematica 4. I haven't found
information about this problem.

The question is: why if I use N[Pi,30] I'll have a number of 30 decimal
digits, but with N[Pi,10] or N[Pi,3] I'll get a number of 6 digits?

The right number of digits is given only if I use a precision bigger than
the precision of the machine. But if I want a number of 3 decimal digits?

Thanks.