StringQ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25432] StringQ?
  • From: leko at ix.netcom.com (J. Leko)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:07:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

While working on a problem in Mathematica 4.02, I happened to use a
function StringQ. It just seemed like a logically named Mathematica
function, and it followed the usual naming convention. I was surprised to
learn, however, that this function is referenced no where in the
Mathematica documentation. What is even more surprising is that it seems
to have existed since at least version 2.2 (although I did see it
referenced in Blachmann's "Mathematica Quick Reference version 2")!

Is this an oversight on the part of WRI? Perhaps it was mistakenly left
out of the docs in earlier versions. I can't imagine this being one of
those "undocumented functions" wwhich are subject to change/removal from
the language.

J. Leko

Please e-mail replies to leko*j at cspar.uah.edu and remove the *