Patterns Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28151] Patterns Problem
  • From: Janusz Kawczak <jkawczak at math.uncc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 02:18:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathematica Users:

I am trying to force an output to appeat in  a certain way, but without
much
success. Here is my problem.

First, how to "teach" M. that some symbols are matrices, vectors, etc...
and
that the laws of the real arithmetic do not apply.

Let's take A to be a matrix, and u and v, vectors.
I would like to have the following:

u A (u - <u>)=u A u -u A <u>

the operator is not symmetric. Whenever I do this oparation I get
something like
A u u or A u ^2. I just cannot force the order to be correct!

Also, I would like to have the oparator to
be iterative, i.e.

v A {(u A (u - <u>) -<u A (u - <u>)>}

Any suggestions.
Thank you in advance.