Re: norm symbol

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28172] Re: norm symbol
  • From: "Stephen P Luttrell" <luttrell at signal.dra.hmg.gb>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 02:37:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Simon Cowell" <sr.cowell at virgin.net> wrote in message
news:9a1leb$ac3 at smc.vnet.net...
> When writing text, I use the double-vertical line symbol in the Complete
> Characters / Operational / Relational palette as a "norm" symbol.
> I place it on either side of a vector to denote the norm of that vector.
> It is much shorter than the conventional notation, so I scale it up using
> Alt and +.
> When writing my thesis, this will become tedious.
> Can I define the scaled-up version as a new character and use it instead ?

Paste the following Cell Expression into a notebook to see how to construct
a norm that automatically scales to the correct size.

Cell[TextData[{
  "This is a scalable norm constructed using the \"esc l | esc\" and \
\"esc r | esc\" characters on the Basic Typesetting pallette (just \
above the \[Intersection] and \[Union] characters): ",
  Cell[BoxData[
      FormBox[
        RowBox[{"\[LeftBracketingBar]",
          RowBox[{"\[LeftBracketingBar]",
            StyleBox[
              FractionBox[
                StyleBox[
                  RowBox[{"LARGE", " ", "NUMERATOR"}],
                  FontSize->36],
                StyleBox[
                  RowBox[{"LARGE", " ", "DENOMINATOR"}],
                  FontSize->36]],
              FontSize->36],
            StyleBox[" ",
              FontSize->36], "\[RightBracketingBar]"}],
          "\[RightBracketingBar]"}], TraditionalForm]]]
}], "Text"]

--
Stephen P Luttrell
DERA Malvern, U.K.