RE: Symbolize in the Notations Package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28166] RE: [mg28157] Symbolize in the Notations Package
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 02:37:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear MathGroup,

With some help from Jason Harris, I now know how to enter the Symbolize
statement for his first Symbolize example in Help. If we have an unusual Box
structure that can't be directly typed in, do the following. First, in a
separate cell, type and click in from a palette the box structure you are
going to use. Here is his example (converted to input form for the email).

TagBox[StyleBox[\(\[ScriptCapitalD]\[ScriptO]\[ScriptM]\[ScriptA]\[ScriptI]\
[ScriptN] \[PartialD]\), Rule[ZeroWidthTimes, True]], DomainD]

Copy it to the clipboard.

Use Shift-Ctrl-E to show the underlying expression.

Select "\[Placeholder]" (including the quotes) and replace it with the copy
from the clipboard. So your start with this:

Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{"Symbolize", "[",
      TagBox["\[Placeholder]",
        NotationBoxTag,
        TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], "]"}]], "Input"]

and end up with this:

Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{"Symbolize", "[",

TagBox[TagBox[StyleBox[\(\[ScriptCapitalD]\[ScriptO]\[ScriptM]\[ScriptA]\[Sc
riptI]\
\[ScriptN] \[PartialD]\),Rule[ZeroWidthTimes,True]],DomainD],
        NotationBoxTag,
        TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], "]"}]], "Input"]

Then use Shift-Ctrl-E again and you have the Symbolize statement in the Help
example, which can then be evaluated. You could also type the expression
directly into the Cell expression. For me, it is easier to see it isolated
in a separate cell first.

The same procedure can be used in the AddInputAlias statement to create a
simple alias for the symbol. Paste the box expression into the first
placeholder, convert back to a normal cell display and type in the alias.

In fact, it appears that you can use this procedure in the AddInputAlias
statement first, and then use the input alias to enter the expression into
the Symbolize statement. So that is the trick, if there was anyone besides
me who was confused as to how it was done.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net