newbie question about the symbol E

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28310] newbie question about the symbol E
  • From: "Martin P. Pos" <posmpxxxx at xxxxhome.nl>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 02:58:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to declare a function of energy E, say f[E], but mathematica doesn't
allow me to use E as a symbol, because it is reserved for the exponential
constant. In the frontend I use <esc>ee<esc> to enter that exponential
constant, but i want E to be the variable of this function.

Similar, I can declare a constant, e.g.:

Subscript[E, F] := 10

But when I do:

Clear[Subscript[E, F]]

mathematica responds:

"Clear::ssym : eF is not a symbol or string"

where eF is the exponential constant, subscript F.

I want to enter the following formula:

f[x_] := 1/(1 + E^((Subscript[x, F] - x)/(k*T)))

where E should be the exponential constant and x should be E (capital e)

Is there a way to do what I want, or is it not possible to use E?

Regards, Martin P. Pos