Mapping a scalar against a list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28393] Mapping a scalar against a list
  • From: "Mark Coleman" <mcoleman at bondspace.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 00:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Greetings,

I've recently been working on a problem involving determining whether a
given string is contained in a large list of strings. Ideally, the problem
would be solved by a 'Map' function 'M' defined as

For this particular problem, {a} is a stiring, and {b,c,d,...} is a list of
strings, then f=StringMatchQ. The function 'M' does not appear to match up
against the standard Mathematica list functions. My current solution is to 'expand'
the list {a} into a list of size Dimension[{b,c,d,...}] and then use
MapThread. But this does not seem particularly elegant, especially if the
list is very large.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Mark