Summation Formulae Table

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28431] Summation Formulae Table
  • From: O D <O_member at newsranger.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:23:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Is there a way to access the tables that Sum[] uses to simplify summations into
known functions like for example

Sum[Exp[-a* n^2], {n, -Infinity, Infinity}]

is simplified into

EllipticTheta[3, 0, E^(-a)]

Is there a way to use the table in reverse, to approximate a known function?

I am not interested in the above example, so please do not tell me how I can
approximate EllipticTheta[]...

I am a rather naive Mathematica user, so please be explicit.

Thank you.