Re: Can Mathematica be used as expert system (rule-based computations like CLIPS?)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28424] Re: Can Mathematica be used as expert system (rule-based computations like CLIPS?)
  • From: "John Doty" <jpd at w-d.org>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:23:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Instead of "->" (Rule), use ":>" (RuleDelayed). RuleDelayed evaluates its
RHS *after* it is used, so you can arrange for the consequences of
evaluation to do what you want, when you want it.

It may be useful to use ";" (CompundExpression) within the delayed
replacement. This evaluates and discards its LHS (for your actions), and
yields its (evaluated) RHS (in this case, a handy placeholder to indicate
the action has been taken).

In[1]:= r = a :> ( Print[ "Side Effect!" ]; aDone )

Out[1]= a :> (Print[Side Effect!]; aDone)

In[2]:= a /. r
Side Effect!

Out[2]= aDone