RE: Controlling evaluation in Symbolize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30371] RE: [mg30352] Controlling evaluation in Symbolize
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 02:30:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Richard,

Someday, I swear, I am really really going to learn how to use the Notation
package. It is probably quite useful once one learns the tricks.
Unfortunately, for me it takes a day and a half to learn each of its tricks.

For your problem, what is really needed is a way to Map the Symbolize
statement onto a list of variables. But that does not seem to be possible.
However, I was able to devise the following method using the NotationBoxTag
form of the Symbolize statement. I use r,s,t for the variable names to
simplify the email text. Still it is not possible to show all the input and
output forms because notations depends upon the specific 2-dimensional
structures.

Needs["Utilities`Notation`"]
Needs["Calculus`VectorAnalysis`"]

SetCoordinates[Spherical[r, s, t]];

The following will symbolize your B variables for a given set of
coordinates.

Hold[Symbolize[ NotationBoxTag [ SubscriptBox["B", subvar ] ]]]
% /. Partition[Thread[subvar -> ToString /@ Coordinates[]], 1]
% // ReleaseHold;

We can see that they have been successfully symbolized by looking at the
list of subscripted symbols in FullForm. (They have to be typed in with
their 2-dimensional structure.)

List[B\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]r, B\[UnderBracket]Subscript\
\[UnderBracket]s, B\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]t]

The symbols can be removed this way.

Hold[RemoveSymbolize[ NotationBoxTag [ SubscriptBox["B", subvar ] ]]]
Remove @@
  List[B\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]r,
    B\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]s,
    B\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]t]

If we look at the FullForm of the 2-dimensional expressions we now obtain

List[Subscript[B, r], Subscript[B, s], Subscript[B, t]]

That only took me three hours, a record for me with the Notation package.
The documentation says that use of NotationBoxTag is for advanced users. But
your application of Notation seems to be a common type of thing that one
would wish to do.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/