Rotation3D, MatrixRotation3D ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30388] Rotation3D, MatrixRotation3D ?
  • From: "ojg" <ole.jonny.gjoen at hitecvision.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:45:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Question regarding rotations.

Some of the documentation found regarding this is not as far as I can see
complete in the documentation, at least the subject is difficult enough to
make me unsure once not 100% clear:)

Fist, what are the defined "euler angles" in mathematica, and in what order
are they applied?

Second, of which side of the vector is the rotational matrix multiplied ?

Third, is there a mathematica way to rotate around an abitrary rotational
axis? If not, what would the mathematica matix be for this?

My problem to solve is as follows: Given three rotational angles (a,b,c)
applied in order to the following three rotational axes: Y axis, X axis, Z
axis. (usual right hand system). This rotation applied to any vector v will
give you a vector V (first Y rotation applied on v, etc).

Now, given a rotational matrix with pure numerical values in, I need to find
the three angles, and I need a general formulae for this solution taking
care of the special cases.

Thanks,
Johnny