Re: Re: Re: Rotation3D, MatrixRotation3D ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30465] Re: [mg30454] Re: Re: Rotation3D, MatrixRotation3D ?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 02:15:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sorry about that! I don't know how I managed to type such nonsense
(there are rather few angles angles between 0 and 0 :) ).
Here is a re-statement of the theorem.

\[CapitalPhi] = RotationMatrix3D[-\[Phi], 0, 0]; \[CapitalTheta] =
    RotationMatrix3D[0, -\[Theta], 0]; \[CapitalPsi] =
    RotationMatrix3D[-\[Psi], 0, 0];

Any special orthogonal matrix B can be expressed in the form:

B = MatrixForm[\[CapitalPhi]].MatrixForm[\[CapitalTheta]].MatrixForm[\
\[CapitalPsi]]

where -Pi<\[Phi]<Pi,0<\[Theta]<Pi,-Pi<\[Psi]<Pi. If \[Theta] is not 0 or
Pi than
the expression is unique.
(in the special case \[Theta]=0 or Pi one of the angles \[Phi] or \[Psi]
can be arbitrary)

Note that the matrix A= B/.MatrixForm[x_]->x is the same as
RotationMatrix3D[-\[Psi], -\[Theta], -\[Phi]].

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University
JAPAN
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/