Re: Delete All Output (bug)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30621] Re: Delete All Output (bug)
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 04:09:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <9mkrpq$1q1$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Tom Burton <tburton at cts.com>
wrote:

> It seems that a group of Output cells (graphics or not) is not deleted unless
> it follows an Input cell. Slightly inconsistent with the on-line help. But
> IMHO, the help should be tweaked, not the operation. In most cases of my
> experience, and orphan Output cell has been pasted in from some somewhere
> else, and so it cannot be easily regenerated. So I am *pleased* that an
> orphan is not deleted by this command.
> Tom Burton

A fair argument -- but maybe the pasted in cell should be converted to
another format style after pasting, or assigned to a symbol.

(Suppose you have an Input cell just before the pasted Output cell, so
that execution leads to

   Input cell
   That cell's Output cell(s)
   Pasted Output cell

Does the pasted Output cell now get deleted?  If so, you're not safe
anyway; if not, it says a pasted Output cell is no longer the same as an
Output cell.)