Re: file association

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30608] Re: [mg30591] file association
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 04:09:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Veit Elser wrote:

> Is there a painless way to transfer notebooks created on the Linux
> platform to the Mac OS without the file association being lost? I've
> tried a number of things, but the result is always a file that
> Mathematica 4.1 (running under OS 9.1) cannot open. It is possible to
> open these files as text and paste into an empty Mathematica notebook.
> However, this is cumbersome and almost impossible for large notebooks
> with lots of postscript graphics. Support people, both at Wolfram and
> Apple, didn't have a solution.

To transfer a file completely from Linux to MacOS, do the following:

1) Transfer the notebook file using a method that translates end of line
characters properly.  ASCII mode transfers under FTP fit this definition.
The key is that the linefeed characters in the Linux file need to be
tranlsated into carriage returns in MacOS.  If such a transfer method is
not available, you could also use a freeware or shareware utility on the
downloaded file.

2) Set the type/creator combination for the downloaded file to 'TEXT' and
'OMEG' respectively.  Check to see if your file transfer program provides
a way to specify this automatically either by the file's MIME type or file
extension.  If not use another utility to do the job after the transfer.
The Apple utilities FileTyper and ResEdit are capable of doing this.
There might be third-party freeware or shareware that will do this via a
drag-and-drop operation to reduce the number of mouse clicks and
keystrokes.

A similar problem arises for people who send notebooks as MIME
attachments.  Wolfram Research Technical Support provides an FAQ on this
topic that includes step-by-step instructions on how to use ResEdit to
change type and creator information.

http://support.wolfram.com/FrontEnds/Notebooks/MacEmail.html

For more information from Apple's website, visit their knowledge base

http://kbase.info.apple.com/

and request article ID 55381 -- "Mac OS: File Type and Creator Codes, and
File Formats".

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com