Finding determinants of nxn matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31758] Finding determinants of nxn matrices
  • From: "cavc_uk" <cavc_uk at ntlworld.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 02:44:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello.

I am interested in a number lamda(A) associated with an nxn matrix, A,
which mathematica will compute when given the input Abs[Det[Minors[A]]].
 I am interested in matrices with all the entries either -1,0 or 1
except that the (1,3) entry must be 6.  I want to know how large
lamda(A) can possibly be when A is allowed to range over all possible
such nxn matrices. NB only for n<=3. I need to write a function in
Mathematica which will find that answer and also will tell us for how
many of the 3^((n^2)-1) possible matrices that number is actually
obtained.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go about this problem?

Thanks
Judith