RE: can Mathematica generate itself a function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31800] RE: [mg31769] can Mathematica generate itself a function?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 04:25:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Alexandre,

You don't indicate how you actually generate your functions. Still, here is
an example of a function which has a variable number of parameters. The
function generates an (N-1)th degree polynomial with the parameters being
the coefficients. The pattern a__ stands for a sequence of 1 or more
arguments.

f[a__][x_] := Fold[x(#1 + #2) &, 0, Reverse[{a}]]/x

f[a0, a1, a2, a3][x] // Expand

a0 + a1*x + a2*x^2 + a3*x^3

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net