Surface graphics (Plot3D) colouring question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31822] Surface graphics (Plot3D) colouring question
  • From: "DIAMOND Mark R." <dot at dot.dot>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 06:51:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Background: I have reason to calculate the volume over a (non-centred)
circular area of a bivariate normal distribution (BND). By non-centred, I
simply mean that the centre of the disc does not correspond with the means
of the two normal distributions.

My solution was to change the (BND) to polar coordinates and then integrate
over r and theta of the circular area. Seems OK although I'd be interested
in any better solution.

Current problem (question). I would like to illustrate what is being done in
the integration, and to this end would like to construct a surface graphic
(probably with Plot3D or ListPlot3D) of the BND, but then I would like to
color a part of the suface (the part being defined by the underlying disc)
in a distinctive colour (I should probably say "distinctive colours" since
keeping some part of the Lighting as well as grid would be nice). Has anyone
done something like this before? I searched the archive but found no similar
question.

Cheers

--
Mark R. Diamond
Send email to  psy dot uwa dot edu dot au and address to markd