Re: comma delimited output file -- modify existing code?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31884] Re: [mg31869] comma delimited output file -- modify existing code?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 06:07:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, 1.156 wrote:

> A year ago or so, some kind soul gave me the very valuable
> method of writing a tab delimited array to a text file. Due
> to incompetence on my part, I don't have his name.

Postings made to this forum are archived and may be searched at this URL:

http://library.wolfram.com/mathgroup/

Judging from the arcihves, it looks like the author may have been David
Keith.

http://library.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/1999/Jul/msg00531.html
http://library.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/1999/Jun/msg00371.html

> My data in wList goes nicely into a tab delimited file.
>
> Now, I'd like to make it a comma delimited file but (again
> due to an amazing incompetence) I can't figure out how to
> modify it for commas.  The "/t" shure looks like the culprit
> but when I change it to "/c" I don't get commas but '/c' as
> delimiters. So it is the delimiter spec but what is the
> comma spec??

Within a Mathematica string, commas do not need escaping.

In[1]:= stmp = OpenWrite["test.txt"]

Out[1]= OutputStream[test.txt, 3]

In[2]:= WriteString[stmp, "before, after"]

In[3]:= Close[stmp]

Out[3]= test.txt

In[4]:= !! test.txt
before, after

Hence, you should be able to replace "\t" with ",".

If you use Mathematica 4.1, the kernel also supports export to CSV format.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.