RE: Interactive simplifying

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31927] RE: [mg31913] Interactive simplifying
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 04:14:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steve,

You are correct that cutting and pasting is not a great way to manipulate an
equation. I think you can better do what you wish by mapping pure functions
onto both sides of the equation. Here is a solution of a simpler version of
your equation using this technique. I'll leave the more complicated case to
you.

Sqrt[a*z + b] + Sqrt[c*z + d] == g
(#1^2 & ) /@ % //ExpandAll
(#1 - g^2 - 2*Sqrt[b + a*z]*Sqrt[d + c*z] & ) /@ %
(#1^2 & ) /@ % //ExpandAll
(Collect[#1, z] & ) /@ %
Solve[%, z]

I guess I shouldn't say that there was no copying and pasting. I did copy
and paste the expressions to be shifted from one side of the equation to the
other into the third line.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/