NDSolve problem with piecewise functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32065] NDSolve problem with piecewise functions
  • From: "Christopher R. Carlen" <crcarle at sandia.gov>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 03:57:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi:

I am using NDSolve in Mathematica 4.1.0.0 to do time-domain transient
electrical circuit analysis.  I have a very simple RC high-pass filter
circuit.  I want to calculate the output waveform when it is excited by
various waveforms.

However, I am having problems with the output of NDSolve not making
sense with certain excitation functions.

For example:

f[t_] := 1.0 Sin[2 Pi 60.0 t]

Plot[f[t], {t, 0, 2/60}]  (* looks like a sinewave with amplitude 1.0 *)

HighPass =
   NDSolve[ { D[Vhp[t] - f[t], t] + 1.0 Vhp[t] == 0, Vhp[0] == 0.},
     Vhp, {t, 0, 2/60}, MaxSteps -> 10000 ]

(* that's a 60 Hz sinewave into a 1Hz cutoff filter, should come through
with almost no amplitude attenuation *)

Plot[ Vhp[t] /. HighPass[[1]], {t, 0, 2/60} ]

(* looks great, still has amplitude of about 1.0 *)

Clear[f]

(* Now define a piecewise function that represents a sinewave with
amplitude clipping *)

BigSine[t_] := 2.0 Sin[2 Pi 60.0 t]
f[t_] := 1.0 /;  BigSine[t] > 1.0
f[t_] := BigSine[t] /; (BigSine[t] < 1.0 && BigSine[t] > -1.0)
f[t_] := -1.0 /;  BigSine[t] < -1.0

is no reason for the amplitude to be now 0.5 instead of 1.0 .  The shape
makes sense, but the amplitude is 1/2 of what is expected.  What's going
on? *)

Something seems to go wrong when using the piecewise excitation function
in NDSolve.  I need to understand how to get this to work reliably,
because I need to do this a lot, with eventually more complicated
equation sets.  I have done other NDSolves with piecewise defined
functions in the past without running into this problem.

Strange.

Help appreciated greatly!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist