Is this the usual method...?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32137] Is this the usual method...?
  • From: "Steve Gray" <stevebg at adelphia.net>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 00:46:59 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

    I've been wondering how one is supposed to resume working
on a given notebook after quitting Mathematica and reopening the nb later.
Almost accidentally I found that you can do Select All (or Select
whatever you highlight) and right-click in the selected area. Then
the option Evaluate Cells appears. This will recompute everything.
    My questions are 1) Is this the usual way one does this, and
2) If so, why do you suppose that this obvious need is not
mentioned (that I can find) in Help or in the Official Book? Or
is this just part of the general inadequacy of those facilities?

    Second question: There must be a way to Print something
without including a newline, so one can put several things on one
line of output. I know about Print[a,b,c, etc.] and that there's a
multi-column option, but maybe there's something else so one
does not have to print all the stuff that you want on one line at
the same place in the procedure. "C" allows one to do this.

    Any advice for the struggling novice is appreciated!