Re: Strange phenomenon
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg32140] Re: Strange phenomenon
- From: "Steve Gray" <stevebg at adelphia.net>
- Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:57:29 -0500 (EST)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
"Steve Gray" <stevebg at adelphia.net> wrote in message news:a0jlqg$31i$1 at smc.vnet.net... > I do a calculation involving the product of four 5x5 matrices containing > a bunch of E^(2PiI/5) type terms, and get an answer containing > stuff like the following (I did Copy As > Plain Text) > > \!\(\(\(\(\(\(+2\)\ zr\^4 - \((\(-1\))\)\^\(3/5\)\ \((1 + > List - \((5 + List)\)\ zr + > 7\ zr\^2 + \((\(-6\) + List)\)\ zr\^3 + > zr\^4)\) + \((\(-1\))\)\^\(1/5\)\ \((\(-2\) + > List\ \((1 + zr + 2\ zr\^2)\) - > zr\ \((\(-3\) + > zr\ \((7 + \((\(-4\) + > zr)\)\ zr)\))\))\) + \((\(-1\))\)\^\(2/5\)\ > \ > > It looks like Mathematica thinks "List" is a variable. I just found that this is what happens when you have an error in the list relative address, specifically when you do mylist[] by mistake. This is not a good method of notification of that error.