Re: Functional programming

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27162] Re: [mg27131] Functional programming
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 04:40:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think your problem goes far beyond just being too procedural in your
programming. To start with, MatrixPower cannot fail when finding symbolic
matrix powers: at most, it will yield increasingly more complex expressions
and eventually will get you out of memory. And how could a symbolic matrix
be non-diagonalizable? Anyway, a quick look on your program reveals a number
of incoherent statements. To mention just the first few:

1. What do you want with w = Union[v, v] and {w[[i]], Count[v, w[[i]]]}? If
you're looking for different eigenvalues it would be enough to ask for
Union[v] and Length[Union[v]]. If yours is a symbolic matrix you'll always
get three different eigenvalues.
2. What do you expect from EigenTable = Table[{w[[i]], Count[v, w[[i]]]},
{i, 1,
Length[w]}]?  Clearly you'll get a list of the eigenvalues together with a 1
each, which is their multiplicity.
3. Join[a1, a2, . ] concatenates lists a1, a2,..., together. Notice the
difference between

In[1]:=
Join[{{a, b, c}, {d, e, f}, {g, h, i}}]
Out[1]=
{{a, b, c}, {d, e, f}, {g, h, i}}
In[2]:=
Join @@ {{a, b, c}, {d, e, f}, {g, h, i}}
Out[2]=
{a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i}

If the latter is what you intended you had better use a simple Flatten.

Etc. It would be much easier if you could provide the group with a
description of the problem and the solution you intend to implement, instead
of just a piece of code.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City