Re: Palm OS Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27248] Re: Palm OS Mathematica
  • From: phys137 at mailcity.com
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:35:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I didn't have much contact with Mathematica for years but, from the software
engineering point of view this does not seam feasible.

Mathematica consists of two modules, kernel and front-end. Kernel could be probably
trimmed down and front-end too - but... I saw Mathematica2.2 and it required at
least 8mb memory to run trivial stuff - not to mention disk space at about
the same size.

Plus, wri seems to dislike the idea of subsets (unlike other systems)
of Mathematica - even their student version is the same as normal binary-wise.
That's sound engineering, too - cause if you have two versions you have
four times more problems.