Re: Graphing Functions for an idiot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27256] Re: [mg27242] Graphing Functions for an idiot
  • From: Matthias Hertel <wir95cgu at studserv.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 03:41:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"nsnn" <dontreply at tothis.ok?> writes:
> Could someone please help me - step by step - realizing that you are
> instructing an idiot who -tried- figuring this out from the book - to graph
> simple functions.
>
> Here is an example of what I am looking for:
>
> Graph the function f(x)=x^3-3x

Ok. The function you want to plot is x^3-3x. The variable you want to
change along the x axis is x. Let's say you want to see the function
for -2 <= x <= 2. If you put this together, you get

Plot[x^3 - 3x, {x, -2, 2}];

The first parameter to plot is the expression you want to plot, the
seconds says which variable in that expression you want to take which values.

Hope this helps
Matthias