Re: ParallelMap inefficient?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27266] Re: ParallelMap inefficient?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:30:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

it is hopeless to assume that "Take x computer and be x-times faster" is
true. In fact you have to to design the algorithm very care full to get
a speed up in parallel program.

We have here (at the faculty of computer science) a graduate course
on parallel computing and in the laboratory the students have to solve
some task with parallel programs. The laboratory is very discouraging
because typical none of the solutions of tasks give a speed up :-)

You should not expect that so simple operations are faster.
In principle the time to send/recive that data mut be much shorter
than the time for the execution of the commands.
Don't think that using more data will help you because the time
for send/recive grow linear with the data size. So your operations
with the data should have atleast a larger time complexity.

Regards
  Jens