"just a bug" !; Mathematica 4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27435] "just a bug" !; Mathematica 4
  • From: pl10-mac <pl10 at st-and.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:55:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I've just noticed this issue : Integrate[Sqrt[(r - x)(r + x)], {x, -r, r}]

Okay - so version 3 works but version 4 doesn't.

I've read all the eloquent remarks, but the bottom line is surely this:

 A maths package costing well over 1,000 pounds and written by some of the finest
mathematicians and programmers in the world - should be able to integrate

Integrate[Sqrt[(r - x)(r + x)], {x, -r, r}]

Pete Lindsay